Friday, August 8, 2008

08.08.08

Beginning tonight, the world focuses on China. Naturally, the run-up to the Olympics brings all kinds of news specials, articles, pictures, etc. I find most of these to be incorrect/unfair in some way, but I roll with it. However, yesterday I read this beauty on the front page of the sports section of the Philadelphia Inquirer:

"A walk through the Forbidden City was a hike in a sauna, tears occasionally streaming from irritated eyes. If a middle-aged tourist walking around with a camera felt this kind of oppressive discomfort, what would it be like for a marathon runner?

Leigh Fitzgerald, a former Haverford College track athlete, had the answer. Living and working here as a trader of carbon credits (a business invented entirely thanks to pollution), the 24-year-old has all but given up running outdoors.

"My brother is a runner," Fitzgerald said. "He went out and did a 10-mile run while he was here. He came back and he was coughing up blood. He didn't run again."

Fitzgerald runs indoors on a treadmill. On the rare occasion when she can see a small range of mountains from her window, she'll take a run outside. It doesn't happen often."



My only response is:
Get more emoticons at designmyprofile.com!




Is there any other reason to write these urban legends other than to "show up" China? I'm no doctor, but I don't think a run in unclean air causes one to cough up blood. Well, I guess if the air is laden with sharp metal and broken glass...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

FYI- I used to run 13 miles, from just west of Zhongshan Park to neige waitan and back. I was angry back then. Now I am only mad. I ran after 10pm when the big trucks were on the road hauling off all of the dirt and waste from the day's construction. With the taste of dirt on my lips, a scratchy throat and a gooey nose, just the way I like it.

Anonymous said...

Im in the waiting room
I cant see for the smoke
I think of you and your holy book
When the rest of us choke

Tell me tell me
What do you see
Tell me tell me
Whats wrong with me

Anonymous said...

Im in the waiting room
I cant see for the smoke
I think of you and your holy book
When the rest of us choke

Tell me tell me
What do you see
Tell me tell me
Whats wrong with me