Tuesday, December 11, 2007

I feel the need, the need for extremes

Why must we move to the edges? In politics, entertainment, sports, and religion the tendency to label something/someone "all good" or "all bad" is obvious. The ability to discern something as both good AND bad (to use simple terms) is not often observed. I read an article a while back about how one of the original "hater" blogs - gawker - built an empire on labeling the world of NYC in extreme terms. It happens as well in the Christian community: emerging church is ALL bad, calvinists are ALL crazy, proclamation evangelism is COMPLETELY modern, and the list goes on.

I've seen it in the response to "The Golden Compass." The movie is ALL bad (if you're a religious type) or it is ALL good and harmless (if you are secular and want to rebut the religious nuts).

So what I am saying is that everyone should just calm down and become like me and see the world as I see it. Then everything will be ok and peace and justice will be restored....if I were king...

6 comments:

Matt Mikalatos said...

DOWN WITH DEMOCRACY! LONG LIVE KING WEIDNER!

Yay!

p.s. Democracy was dumb anyway.

Dan said...

I've always wanted a constituency. Wait, that's democratic. I mean I've always wanted a fiefdom with faithful subject such as Mikalatos.

Jason Seville said...

I was just listening to ESPN Radio, so as I pondered your post, I wondered if the sports world was an exception: Bonds is ALL bad, the Yankees are ALL evil, the Micthell Report is ALL good (or ALL evil - depending on your pespective), etc.

But, several things have changed my mind: I dislike the Gators but love Tim Tebow; I love Joe Gibbs but hate his play-calling; I love Dan Patrick but can't stand Keith Oberman; etc. Surely as a Philly fan you understand this. In fact, you guys may be the prime example. You can hate AND love any given person at any given moment.

Dan said...

seville,

you and i are able to walk above this mess because we have what the experts call "intellectual flexibility," OR we are just nuts.

Matt Mikalatos said...

I haven't seen the movie (I've read all three books) but Peter Travers at Rolling Stone also thinks that the Golden Compass is all bad. Here's his review:

The Catholic League thinks it’s anti-Catholic. Admirers of Philip Pullman’s 1995 His Dark Materials trilogy, of which The Golden Compass is the first part, think Chris Weitz’s film guts the backbone of the book. Me, I just think it blows. What does it matter if you spend millions on a movie - love the talking, battling bears! - if the effects are cheesy, the story runs off on tangents and after watching the movie fail utterly to be the next Lord of the Rings, you just want to go home. One wag said Nicole Kidman looked like “a botoxed Marilyn Monroe” playing Mrs. Coulter, the slinky villainess who does terrible things to children to separate them from their souls, which take the form of furry animals called daemons. Are you with me? Didn’t think so. Anyway, Kidman was way nastier in Margot At the Wedding. She and co-star Daniel (007) Craig strike as many sexual sparks as they did in The Invasion, which was none. The studio is threatening two sequels. Please make them stop.


PETER TRAVERS

(Posted: Dec 14, 2007)

Anonymous said...

speaking of extremes, anonymous thinks that it has been an EXTREMELY long time since we have seen a new post.