Monday, February 11, 2008

Good Stuff

There are two music projects out there about which I am quite excited. Both are related in that the message of both projects lies in the order of the songs on the album. I am guessing most thoughtful musicians attempt do do this, but these two have done it in quite compelling fashion:

1. Counting Crows: Favorite band of A and I. Their new album is called "Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings" The basic message is that all of life is about the recklessness of Saturday nights, followed by the pain/regret/hangover each Sunday morning. Adam Duritz (lead singer) shares how the album is born of a life trying to push everyone away and live a completely isolated life, and the bitter taste of the fruit of his folly. His pursuit of isolation, with the hope of avoiding pain, resulted in the worst kind of pain. He speaks of isolation, community, and restoration.

Favorite line so far, from the song "Cowboys": "This is a list of the things I should have been, but I'm not..."

The album is not out yet, but thanks to NPR and WXPN/World Cafe Live (here in Philly), you can listen to a 45 minute performance/explanation at: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=18777266


2. Jon Foreman (of Switchfoot) has a compelling project as well. He has already released two EPs, called "Fall" and "Winter," and he has two more upcoming. "Fall" speaks of the real pain of life in this world, bad decisions, injustice, etc... "Winter" includes two excellent songs about death.

He does a good job of expressing the reality of these things. So much so, that I have spent a decent amount of time discussing his songs with a good friend -- asking questions like "He's not really saying what I think he's saying, is he?!?!?" Good, honest stuff. "Fall" and "Winter" both bring a heavy (lethal?) dose of melancholy, but I look forward to "Spring."

4 comments:

Katie said...

Let me preface this by saying that this comment doesn't have anything to do w/ music. Nonetheless, I wanted to "show myself" as an occasional reader of your blog! I enjoy it because I, like you and your family, live in Philly (Kensington) and have great hopes for this amazing city. And, strangely enough, I am an East Asia summer project alum, and I long to return someday to teach. So, double the coolness :) Thanks for writing.

John Gunter said...

Dan, you have somehow made me excited about the release of these albums.

Dan said...

to katie: thanks for identifying yourself as a visitor to my blog. hope kensington is treating you well, we're down in s. philly.

to john g: hope i don't give you a bad recommendation on the albums. believe me, i've suggested many an album/movie/book to people only to have them come back and look at me like i'm nuts. no one has taken a swing at me yet though, and for that i'm grateful.

Anonymous said...

you have a blog and yet refuse to get on face book?!?! I randomly found your blog.. how funny is that? well I actually found Bott's and then saw a link to your site. j and b look adorable as always. i'll be stopping by periodically.

-jl