Monday, March 24, 2008

College Ball

I also have to have a little rant against those who fill out numerous NCAA tourney brackets. I don't want to hear about your "money bracket" and that you picked Davidson to go to the sweet sixteen in your espn.com bracket and on and on.... The tourney is inherently excellent, and doesn't need the additional "excitement" from wannabe "bracketologists."

I'm also sick of hearing the pundits say things like, "there's a possibility that West Virginia could make a final four run, they're that talented. However, they would have to win two tough games to get there, which they may not be able to do." That's a lot of hot air to say nothing definitive.

So after those two rants, "One Shining Moment" and announcers like Gus Johnson and Bill Raftery make college basketball great. Drink in this gem of a call (Raftery at his finest....a "taiwan special"):

5 comments:

Andy McCullough said...

What the heck is a Taiwan Special anyway?

My brackets are toast so when do we start the NL East Pennant Race. All the pundits are already giving it to Mets even after two straight choke years.

Dan said...

Not sure about the taiwan special, but it sure is funny. i still laugh every time.

dude, the NL east will be a blast this year. we all play one another 19 times. should be good. however, as a true phillies fan, i am ready to turn bitter at the drop of a hat...

Matt Mikalatos said...

I like "take it to the tin... with alacrity!"

Nice.

Dan said...

I solved the "taiwan special" comment. Joe Alexander, the kid who dunks it, grew up in Taiwan and China while his parents worked for Nestle.

Jason Seville said...

Sorry I'm late in reading this post... I could have solved the "Taiwan Special" early on... I'm a big Joe Alexander fan.

Random: Alex Ruoff (of the Mountaineers) goes to the same church as I went to in college and I saw him there last summer. It's amazing how much bigger those guys are in real life.

I've been loving all of the talk I've been hearing lately about Duke in the wake of the WVU game. ESPN radio personalities keep calling them "the Notre Dame of college basketball." In other words - all media hype with "great" recruiting classes that don't pan out. I love all of this talk because of the indictment against Duke, but also because it makes me smile that ND has a well-known description like this named after them. Glory.